Cape May Beaches 2019
If your visiting Cape May you will love the beaches. Cape May has some of the most beautiful beaches in the country. Visit Higbee Beach and Poverty Beach to experience the best of the Cape, Cape May is a beach getaway. For additional information about Cape Mays beaches…
Cape May Beaches
Location and Parking
Cape May City beaches run approximately 2.5 miles parallel to Beach Avenue and are within walking distance from most accommodations.
Metered parking is available along the beachfront. During the summer months these spaces fill fast. Free parking is located several blocks deep and in on smaller side streets.
- Remember your Beach Tags. Beach tags are required (ages 12 and up) on all beaches from Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day during guarded hours. They are available at all beach entrances and at City Hall.
- The Cape May Beach Patrol protects the beaches from The Cove to Poverty Beach from 10am – 5:30pm from July 1 through Labor Day
- Lifeguards respond to water and medical emergencies. There are always several NJ Department of Health certified EMTs on duty in the summertime.
- Please keep our beaches clean
- Beach tents, umbrellas, and canopies are always welcome
- Public restrooms are located along the promenade approximately every half mile
- Many open showers are located along the promenade to wash off sand
- The beach patrol provides free surf chairs to people with restricted mobility
- No Alcohol. Feel free to bring coolers and food. If you don’t want to carry your food, there are a variety beachfront restaurants and food stands serving up summer favorites.
- No Pets. In the summer, only verifiable service animals are permitted on the beaches. Dogs are permitted from November-March.
- For your safety, please don’t walk or climb on the jetties
- Fires and bonfires are not permitted
- No portable device may be used for cooking
- No overnight camping or permanent structures
- Rough sports are not permitted
- Alcohol is prohibited
1.) Swimming is welcome. For your safety, the Beach Patrol recommends not swimming past chest-deep water (areas may be marked with flags). Ocean conditions may change quickly. Please check with the nearest lifeguard stand before you attempt distance swimming.
2.)Skimboarding is allowed with the permission of the lifeguards
3.)Volleyball nets are available at Steger Beach (Beach Ave & Jackson St) and at 2nd Avenue Beach (2nd Avenue & Beach Ave). They’re located on the beach, so you will need a beach tag to play, and please BYOB (bring your own ball).
4,)is permitted along the one-quarter mile stretch east of the Brooklyn Ave storm pipe. Fishing is prohibited at all other beaches during guarded hours.
5.)Kayaking is permitted past the bathing zone. You can launch east of Poverty Beach and west of The Cove stand.
6.)Surfing is permitted at Poverty Beach (Wilmington Avenue), The Cove, Surfing Beach (Gurney Street), and South Queen (Queen Street)
Beach tags are required. Beach tags are required from 10am – 5pm, Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day, for everyone 12 and older. Beach tags are available at the Beach Tag Office and at all beach entrances during the summer. The City accepts cash or checks only, and rates are per person. Children 11 & under are free. Call the Beach Tag Office with questions at 609-884-9522.
2019 Beach Tag Rates
|Seasonal Tag (pre-season rate)
|$20.00 if purchased from December 1, 2017 through April 2, 2018. Pre-season tags can be purchased at City Hall Tax Office.
|$28.00 if purchased from April 3, 2018 through Labor Day
|Weekly Tag (Saturday to Saturday, 8-days)
|3-day Tag (any three consecutive days)
|Active Military & Veterans
|FreeMust be picked up in person at the Beach Tag Office at 704 Beach Ave.
Seasonal beach tags are also available by mail. A maximum of five (5) seasonal tags per individual may be purchased. Call the City at 609-884-9540 for information, but please know they won’t let you order by phone.
Please note: Transferring beach tags is not allowed.
cape may holly suite
cape may puffin suites
cape may rentals
cape may times rentals
cape may large house rentals
cape may rentals with pool
west cape may rentals
last minute cape may rentals
cape may cottage rentals