From the comfort of your home, experience Cape May’s Christmas Candlelight House Tour, a beloved annual tradition for nearly half a century, virtually! Watch this virtual tour with family and friends and bring a bit of Cape May at Christmas into your own home for years to come. Featured are 10 Cape May homes, B&Bs and inns decorated for the holidays including interviews with owners and innkeepers. Participating properties include: The John B. McCreary House (“The Abbey”), Angel of the Sea Bed & Breakfast, The Bedford Inn, The Cherry House, The Emlen Physick Estate, Franklin at 721, The Henry Sawyer Inn, The Mainstay Inn, The Mason Cottage and The Mission Inn.
Santa, Mrs. Claus, Elves and Musicians on the Mall
Christmas Parade! Santa, Mrs. Claus, Elves and Musicians will be strolling the mall 4 pm to 6 pm (tentative times). Taking pictures with our visitors on the mall and collecting money for our Cape May Food Bank.
November 24, 2023
Santa, Mrs. Claus, Elves and Musicians will be strolling the mall 2 pm to 4 pm (tentative times). Taking pictures with our visitors on the mall and collecting money for our Cape May Food Bank.
Exploring Cape May Rentals: Your Gateway to a Memorable Vacation
Cape May, a charming coastal town located on the southern tip of New Jersey, has long been a beloved destination for travelers seeking a unique blend of history, natural beauty, and relaxation. Known for its well-preserved Victorian architecture, pristine beaches, and a vibrant arts scene, Cape May offers a perfect backdrop for a memorable vacation. One of the best ways to experience all that this town has to offer is by renting a vacation home. In this article, we’ll explore Cape May rentals and how they can enhance your visit to this picturesque seaside gem.
Cape May offers a wide range of vacation rentals to suit every traveler’s needs, preferences, and budget. Whether you’re planning a romantic getaway, a family reunion, or a solo adventure, you’ll find the perfect rental property. Here are some popular options:
- Beachfront Homes: For those who want to wake up to the soothing sounds of the ocean and step onto the sandy shores within moments, beachfront homes are an ideal choice. These properties often feature stunning panoramic views, spacious decks, and easy access to the beach.
- Victorian Cottages: Immerse yourself in the town’s historic charm by renting a beautifully restored Victorian cottage. These rentals offer a unique glimpse into Cape May’s past while providing modern amenities and comfort.
- Condos and Apartments: Cape May has a variety of condominiums and apartments available for rent. These are often situated in the heart of town, making it convenient to explore shops, restaurants, and cultural attractions.
- Pet-Friendly Rentals: Don’t leave your furry friends behind! Many vacation rentals in Cape May are pet-friendly, allowing you to bring your four-legged family members along for the adventure.
- Luxury Retreats: If you’re looking to indulge, Cape May boasts luxurious vacation homes with amenities such as private pools, gourmet kitchens, and spa-like bathrooms. These properties are perfect for special occasions and milestone celebrations.
Benefits of Cape May Vacation Rentals
- Home Away from Home: Cape May rentals provide a homey atmosphere that hotels often cannot match. You’ll have access to a fully equipped kitchen, comfortable living spaces, and the freedom to create your own schedule.
- Space and Privacy: Vacation rentals offer more space than hotel rooms, making them great for families and groups. Enjoy your own private yard, deck, or pool without the hustle and bustle of a crowded resort.
- Cost-Effective: When traveling with a group, renting a vacation home can be more cost-effective than booking multiple hotel rooms. You can also save money by cooking your meals rather than dining out every night.
- Local Experience: Staying in a rental property allows you to immerse yourself in the local culture. Explore the town’s farmers’ markets, cook fresh seafood, and enjoy Cape May’s vibrant community.
- Flexibility: Vacation rentals offer flexibility in terms of check-in and check-out times, making it easier to plan your trip according to your preferences.
To find the perfect Cape May rental visit capemayvacationrentals.com and start your search well in advance, especially during peak tourist seasons. Numerous websites and rental agencies specialize in Cape May properties, allowing you to browse listings, view photos, and read reviews from previous guests. Be sure to communicate your needs and preferences with the property owner or management to ensure a smooth booking process.
Cape May rentals are the key to unlocking an unforgettable vacation experience in this quaint coastal town. With a diverse array of accommodation options, from beachfront homes to historic cottages, there’s a rental property to suit every traveler’s taste. Enjoy the comforts of home, space, and privacy, all while immersing yourself in the rich history and natural beauty that Cape May has to offer. Whether you’re seeking relaxation, adventure, or a little bit of both, renting a vacation home in Cape May is your ticket to an exceptional getaway.
Cape May, New Jersey, renowned for its pristine beaches and Victorian charm, is equally celebrated for its vibrant culinary scene. Nestled along the Jersey Shore, this coastal paradise offers a diverse array of dining experiences that cater to all tastes and preferences. In this article, we’ll take you on a gastronomic journey through Cape May, highlighting its exceptional restaurants, fresh seafood, and the unique ambiance that makes dining here an unforgettable experience.
A Coastal Culinary Haven
Cape May’s dining scene is a reflection of its coastal location, with an emphasis on fresh seafood, locally sourced ingredients, and a commitment to culinary excellence. Whether you’re a seafood enthusiast or crave international flavors, there’s something for everyone in Cape May’s culinary landscape.
1. Fresh Seafood Delights
As a coastal town, Cape May is synonymous with fresh seafood. The Atlantic Ocean provides a bounty of delectable treasures, including succulent crab, plump shrimp, and flaky fish. Local restaurants take full advantage of this coastal wealth, serving up dishes like crab cakes, buttery lobster tails, and expertly grilled swordfish.
2. Farm-to-Table Fare
Cape May’s commitment to sustainability and local agriculture shines through its farm-to-table dining options. Restaurants collaborate with nearby farms and suppliers to offer dishes that celebrate the region’s seasonal produce. Be sure to explore menus featuring fresh Jersey tomatoes, locally grown greens, and artisanal cheeses.
3. Victorian Elegance
Dining in Cape May often carries an element of Victorian elegance. Many restaurants are housed in historic Victorian-era buildings, creating an ambiance that transports you to a bygone era. Dining in beautifully restored dining rooms or on charming outdoor patios adds a touch of romance to your culinary experience.
4. Al Fresco Dining
With its mild coastal climate, Cape May is perfect for al fresco dining. Many restaurants offer outdoor seating, allowing you to savor your meal while enjoying the fresh sea breeze and the picturesque views of the ocean or Cape May’s tree-lined streets.
5. International Flavors
While Cape May is celebrated for its seafood, it also offers a diverse range of international cuisines. From Italian trattorias and Mexican cantinas to Thai restaurants and French bistros, you can embark on a global culinary journey without leaving the town.
Notable Dining Establishments in Cape May
- The Lobster House: A Cape May institution, The Lobster House offers fresh seafood in a casual yet bustling atmosphere. Enjoy your meal with a view of the fishing boats on the Cape May Harbor.
- Peter Shields Inn & Restaurant: This upscale dining establishment in a Victorian mansion offers a sophisticated menu highlighting local ingredients. It’s an ideal spot for a romantic dinner.
- The Mad Batter Restaurant & Bar: Known for its creative American cuisine, this restaurant offers a lively atmosphere and an extensive wine list. Don’t miss their famous brunch.
- The Ebbitt Room: Located within the Virginia Hotel, this restaurant combines an elegant setting with a seasonal menu featuring farm-fresh ingredients.
- Tisha’s Fine Dining: For a taste of international flavors, Tisha’s offers a diverse menu with options ranging from Mediterranean-inspired dishes to classic Italian fare.
West Cape May celebrates her farming heritage with the Annual Lima Bean Festival in the Borough’s Backyard Park! The festival is scheduled to begin at 9:00am and is planned to delight locals and visitors alike with a vast array of recipes, crafts and products available.
The Cape May Lima Bean Festival
Nestled on the southern tip of New Jersey, Cape May is renowned for its picturesque beaches, charming Victorian architecture, and vibrant culinary scene. Among its unique culinary traditions, the Cape May Lima Bean Festival stands out as a delightful celebration of both local history and delicious cuisine. In this article, we will explore the origins of this remarkable festival, its significance to the Cape May community, and the culinary delights that await attendees.
A Rich History of Lima Bean Farming
Cape May’s connection to the lima bean dates back to the early 20th century when local farmers began cultivating this versatile legume. The sandy soil and favorable climate of the region proved ideal for lima bean farming, and the crop quickly became a staple of the local agricultural industry. In honor of this heritage, the Cape May Lima Bean Festival was established, and it has since become a beloved annual event.
The Lima Bean Festival: A Community Tradition
The Cape May Lima Bean Festival, held every year in early October, is a testament to the community’s deep-rooted appreciation for its agricultural heritage. It’s a time when locals and visitors alike come together to celebrate the lima bean’s versatility, culinary possibilities, and the sense of community that defines Cape May.
Key Attractions at the Festival
- Lima Bean Cooking Contest: One of the highlights of the festival is the cooking contest, where both amateur and professional chefs showcase their creativity in crafting lima bean dishes. From creamy lima bean soup to savory lima bean stews, the variety of dishes on display is truly impressive.
- Food Vendors: The festival features numerous food vendors offering a wide range of lima bean-inspired dishes and other local delicacies. Whether you’re in the mood for lima bean hummus, lima bean chili, or more traditional fare, there’s something to satisfy every palate.
- Live Entertainment: The festival boasts live music performances, adding to the festive atmosphere. Attendees can enjoy toe-tapping tunes while savoring their lima bean treats.
- Craft Vendors: In addition to culinary delights, the festival offers a marketplace where local artisans showcase their handmade crafts, including jewelry, pottery, and artwork.
- Children’s Activities: Families can enjoy a variety of kid-friendly activities, including face painting, games, and more.
Preserving Local Heritage and Agriculture
The Cape May Lima Bean Festival plays a vital role in preserving the region’s agricultural heritage. By celebrating the humble lima bean, the festival reminds attendees of the importance of supporting local farmers and sustainable agriculture. Moreover, it provides an opportunity for local farmers to showcase their produce and connect with the community.
A Delicious Tradition Worth Savoring
The Cape May Lima Bean Festival is more than just a culinary event; it’s a celebration of community, history, and the enduring charm of Cape May. Whether you’re a devoted foodie or simply looking for a fun and family-friendly outing, this festival offers a unique and memorable experience. As you savor the diverse lima bean dishes and immerse yourself in the festivities, you’ll gain a deeper appreciation for the rich tapestry of Cape May’s culinary traditions. Make sure to mark your calendar and join in the celebration of this delicious and heartwarming tradition.
Do you love monarch butterflies? If so, save the date for our 2023 Monarch Festival! This is a day to celebrate these fascinating insects and wish them well on their migration to Mexico. We will have live music, a food truck, kids activities, educational programs, local artists, and butterfly tagging demonstrations.
The Spectacular Cape May Migration
Cape May, New Jersey, is a hidden gem for nature enthusiasts and a sanctuary for one of the most iconic and enchanting butterflies in North America – the monarch butterfly. Every year, millions of these delicate orange and black insects make their way to Cape May as part of their remarkable migration journey, turning the area into a mesmerizing spectacle of nature. In this article, we will delve into the fascinating world of monarch butterflies in Cape May, exploring their incredible migration, conservation efforts, and the best ways to experience this breathtaking phenomenon.
Monarch butterflies (Danaus plexippus) are widely celebrated for their remarkable life cycle and incredible migrations. These insects undergo a complete metamorphosis, starting as tiny eggs laid on milkweed plants. The eggs hatch into caterpillars, which then transform into chrysalides and, ultimately, into beautiful adult butterflies. It is their remarkable annual migration, however, that captures the imagination of many.
The Great Monarch Migration
Monarch butterflies undertake one of the most extraordinary migrations in the insect world. Every year, these winged wanderers travel thousands of miles from their breeding grounds in North America to their overwintering sites in Mexico. Along the way, they pass through Cape May, making this picturesque coastal town a crucial pitstop on their journey.
Cape May: A Rest Stop for Monarchs
Cape May’s unique geography and abundant natural resources make it an ideal resting place for migrating monarchs. The town’s lush gardens, parks, and shorelines provide plenty of nectar sources for the butterflies, while milkweed, the primary host plant for monarch caterpillars, is plentiful in the region. As a result, Cape May becomes a vital refueling station for monarchs on their arduous journey.
Best Time to Visit Cape May for Monarchs
To witness the spectacular monarch migration in Cape May, plan your visit during the fall months, typically from late September to early October. During this time, you can expect to see thousands of monarchs as they gather in the area’s gardens and open spaces, preparing for their long flight across the Delaware Bay.
Conservation Efforts in Cape May
Local organizations and conservationists in Cape May are dedicated to preserving and protecting the monarch butterflies and their habitats. Efforts include creating and maintaining monarch-friendly gardens, educating the public about the importance of milkweed, and conducting research to better understand monarch behavior and migration patterns. These initiatives are vital in ensuring the survival of this iconic species.
How to Experience the Monarch Migration in Cape May
- Visit Cape May Point State Park: This park is a hot spot for monarchs. Stroll along the nature trails and witness the butterflies congregating in the trees and shrubs.
- Take a Guided Tour: Consider joining a guided butterfly tour led by local naturalists who can provide insights into monarch behavior and the migration process.
- Visit the Cape May Monarch Monitoring Project: This research initiative is a great place to learn more about monarchs and their conservation. They often offer educational programs and butterfly tagging demonstrations.
- Explore Cape May’s Gardens: The town boasts beautiful gardens and public spaces where monarchs gather. Some notable spots include the Cape May Bird Observatory and the Nature Center of Cape May.
Cape May’s role as a waystation for monarch butterflies during their awe-inspiring migration is a testament to the town’s commitment to preserving the beauty of nature. As these delicate insects rest and refuel in Cape May, they provide residents and visitors alike with an enchanting spectacle of the natural world. To experience the magic of monarch butterflies in all their splendor, plan a trip to Cape May during their fall migration, and you’ll witness one of nature’s most remarkable journeys.
The City of Cape May, New Jersey, is known for its stunning beaches, charming Victorian architecture, and rich history. The city’s Historic District is one of its most significant and beloved attractions, showcasing over 600 preserved historic buildings that span more than two centuries of American architecture.
The Cape May Historic District was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1976, and it is the largest collection of 19th-century architecture in the country. Visitors to the district can take a self-guided walking tour or join a guided tour to learn more about the history of the area and its unique architecture.
The district’s architecture spans a variety of styles, including Queen Anne, Gothic Revival, and Second Empire. Visitors can marvel at the intricate details of the buildings, such as the ornate gingerbread trim, stained-glass windows, and sweeping verandas.
One of the most iconic buildings in the district is the Emlen Physick Estate, a grand Victorian mansion that was built in 1879. Visitors can tour the mansion and learn about the life of Dr. Emlen Physick, who was one of Cape May’s most prominent citizens in the late 19th century.
Other notable buildings in the district include the historic Congress Hall Hotel, the Chalfonte Hotel, and the Cape May Lighthouse, which dates back to 1859. The district is also home to several museums, such as the Cape May Fireman’s Museum and the Cape May County Historical Museum.
The Cape May Historic District is not only a testament to the city’s rich history but also a thriving hub of restaurants, shops, and galleries. Visitors can enjoy a meal in one of the many restaurants housed in historic buildings, browse through antique shops, or admire the work of local artists in the district’s galleries.
Overall, the Cape May Historic District is a must-visit destination for anyone interested in history, architecture, or just looking for a unique and charming experience. With its stunning buildings, rich history, and lively atmosphere, it is a true gem of the East Coast and a beloved attraction of Cape May.
Cape May is a coastal town located in southern New Jersey, known for its picturesque beaches that attract tourists from all over the world. With its stunning views, clear waters, and sandy shores, Cape May’s beaches are the perfect destination for those who want to relax, unwind, and enjoy the beauty of the Atlantic Ocean.
One of the most popular beaches in Cape May is Sunset Beach. As its name suggests, this beach offers breathtaking sunset views that are sure to leave you in awe. The beach is located on the western side of the Cape May peninsula, and visitors can access it by walking through a path lined with gift shops and food stands. Sunset Beach is also famous for its ‘Cape May diamonds,’ which are small quartz stones that wash ashore and can be collected by visitors as souvenirs.
Another famous beach in Cape May is Higbee Beach. This beach is located on the western side of the town, and it is known for its secluded and quiet atmosphere. Higbee Beach is perfect for those who want to escape the crowds and enjoy the serenity of nature. Visitors can also go birdwatching or take a nature walk through the nearby nature reserve.
Cape May’s beaches are not just about sun, sand, and sea. They also offer a wide range of outdoor activities that visitors can enjoy. For example, Cape May Point State Park offers hiking trails, fishing piers, and a lighthouse that offers panoramic views of the Atlantic Ocean. The park is also home to many migratory birds, making it a perfect destination for birdwatchers.
Cape May is also known for its rich history and culture, and its beaches are no exception. Poverty Beach is a historic beach that was once the location of a fishing village. Today, visitors can still see the remnants of the old fishing village and explore the beach’s rich history. The beach is also popular among locals for its calm waters and excellent fishing opportunities.
Finally, no visit to Cape May’s beaches is complete without a trip to the Wildwood Boardwalk. The boardwalk is located just a short drive from Cape May, and it is home to many amusement parks, arcades, and restaurants. Visitors can also take a stroll on the boardwalk and enjoy the sea breeze and the stunning views of the Atlantic Ocean.
Cape May’s beaches are a must-visit destination for anyone looking for a peaceful and relaxing vacation. With its stunning views, clear waters, and sandy shores, Cape May’s beaches offer the perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Whether you want to soak up the sun, explore nature, or learn about the town’s rich history and culture, Cape May’s beaches have something for everyone.
Cape May, located on the southern tip of New Jersey, is a picturesque seaside town known for its charming Victorian architecture, pristine beaches, and vibrant cultural scene. It’s a popular destination for tourists seeking a relaxing getaway, and one of the best ways to experience all that Cape May has to offer is by renting a vacation home. In this article, we’ll provide you with a guide to renting a vacation home in Cape May, New Jersey.
Why Choose a Vacation Home Rental in Cape May?
When planning a vacation to Cape May, renting a vacation home can offer several advantages over traditional hotel stays. Here are some reasons why you might consider renting a vacation home for your Cape May getaway:
- Space and Comfort: Vacation homes typically offer more space and privacy compared to hotel rooms, allowing you to spread out and enjoy your vacation with your family or friends. Most vacation homes in Cape May come with multiple bedrooms, living areas, and fully-equipped kitchens, providing you with all the comforts of home.
- Cost-Effective: Renting a vacation home can be a cost-effective option, especially for larger groups or extended stays. Splitting the rental cost among several people can often be more affordable than booking multiple hotel rooms. Additionally, having a kitchen in your vacation home allows you to cook your meals, saving you money on dining out expenses.
- Authentic Experience: Staying in a vacation home in Cape May allows you to experience the local culture and lifestyle of this historic beach town. Many vacation homes in Cape May are charming Victorian houses, adding to the unique charm of your stay.
- Amenities: Vacation homes often come with a range of amenities, such as private pools, hot tubs, outdoor grills, and beach gear, which can enhance your vacation experience and provide you with additional options for entertainment and relaxation.
- Flexibility: Renting a vacation home gives you the flexibility to create your own schedule and itinerary. You can cook meals at your convenience, relax in the privacy of your own space, and plan your activities according to your preferences.
How to Rent a Vacation Home in Cape May?
Renting a vacation home in Cape May is a straightforward process. Here are some steps to follow:
- Research and Choose a Property: Start by researching vacation home rental options in Cape May. Search on Capemayvacationrentals.com. Look for properties that fit your group size, budget, and desired location.
- Check Availability and Pricing: Once you have identified a few potential vacation homes, check their availability for your desired dates and compare pricing. Keep in mind that rental rates can vary depending on the season, location, and amenities offered.
- Read Reviews and Terms: Before making a reservation, read reviews from previous guests to get an idea of the property’s condition, cleanliness, and overall guest satisfaction. Also, carefully review the rental terms and conditions, including cancellation policies, additional fees, and any rules or restrictions.
- Contact the Owner or Property Manager of the rental in Cape May: If you have any questions or need further information, don’t hesitate to contact the owner or property manager of the vacation home. They can provide you with additional details, clarify any doubts, and assist you with the booking process.
- Make a Reservation: Once you have selected a vacation home, and you are satisfied with the terms and conditions, proceed with making a reservation. Typically, you will be required to provide a deposit or make a full payment to secure your booking. Be sure to keep a record of your reservation confirmation and any payment receipts.
- Prepare for Your Stay: As your Cape May trip approaches, make sure to communicate with the owner or property manager about check-in